Videography Tips for the Holidays!
Tips For The Holidays | Video Production Raleigh
With the holidays coming up, those that own a camcorder will be videoing school plays, Christmas programs, and other holiday events. With that in mind, TigerHive Creative Group, video production in Raleigh, has taken some time to put together a few tips and checklists that will help you capture your favorite moments this holiday season, without too many mishaps! We will start with a few “Don’ts”! and move on with more tips from there!
- Don’t overuse the zoom option. Move forward often to get the best picture without having to zoom.
- Don’t pan from side to side to get the entire scene.
- Don’t place your subject in the center of the frame.
- Don’t shoot everything from eye level only.
- Don’t snapshot, or shoot everything in two or three second shots only.
- Don’t stand in one spot for the entire videoing. Choose more interesting angles.
- Don’t video directly into backlighting.
Helpful Tips For Shooting a Video | Video Production Raleigh
- Avoid zooming while the tape is rolling.
- For handheld stability, imagine that your camcorder is a very full cup of hot coffee.
- Keep the shot steady for at least 10 seconds.
- Keep the sun behind you when shooting outdoors.
- Keep your average shot length between 5 and 10 seconds.
- Move the camcorder only when necessary.
- Plan your shoot.
- Set the white balance at every location.
- Shoot to edit.
- Use a tripod or other image stabilization device when a steady shot is needed.
- Use the manual focus if your camcorder has it.
- Use the zoom to create your shot.
- While shooting, be as discreet as possible to best capture the true behavior of your subject.
Helpful Audio Tips | Video Production Raleigh
If you’re worried about audio quality during the holiday season, making sure you have proper equipment is important. Take a look back at previous posts to see our tips and recommendations on audio equipment:
If you have the equipment needed to record quality audio, be sure to follow the tips below to maximize your efforts:
- Avoid long cable runs to minimize interference.
- Don’t move mic cables while recording.
- Get the microphone close to the talent.
- Keep audio in mind when scouting locations.
- Keep hand movements on the camcorder to a minimum.
- Listen through headphones while you shoot.
- Use a handheld microphone for interviews or storytelling.
- Use a lavalier microphone or boom microphone for studio settings.
- Use a wireless microphone to avoid cable hassles.
- Use an external microphone if you have one.
Making sure you have all the right equipment for the camcorder is important, as well. Without extra batteries and such, you’re sure to run into some sort of mishap. In our next post, we will offer a preparation checklist to help you pack everything you’ll need to video the school play, church program, or other fun holiday event this season!
If you need help videoing an event this season and want to enlist professionals, be sure to contact TigerHive Creative Group, video production in Raleigh! We are the Triangle’s #1 video production company! Our talented team is dedicated to offering the highest quality Raleigh video production for any type of budget. Contact TigerHive Creative Group for more information!